/\ Time Lines /\
: “unlawful or wanton acts committed with knowledge that there is a substantial likelihood of severe and either widespread or long-term damage to the environment being caused by those acts.”
- Pre-industrial levels: about 280 ppm. Currently (6/3/22): about 420 and rapidly rising. : The highest safe level is 350. And .
- In terms of average global surface temp
1880-1900 avg temp: 56.65 F/13.7 C
2022: 58.55 F/14.75 C
Goal is to stay below: 59 F/15.2 C (+1.5C above 1900 avg)
- The plant hardiness zone map is used by farmers and gardeners across the nation. Bottom line: The temps were you live now are like the temps about 100 miles south of you were in 2012.
- "The ice sheet of west Antarctica would push up the oceans by 5 metres if lost completely."
- A little bit of good news.
- Biden's next big decision for the planet. If approved the CP2 LNG plant would be associated with 20X the greenhouse emissions of the Willow oil complex, which Biden approved on 3/13. (Substack.com is a good way to read McKibben without going through a paywall.)
- Throughout Biden's presidential campaign he repeated many times that under his adminstration there would be “.”
But during his administration:
1. On the day after his return from in Nov. 2021 he approved new offshore oil drilling, stating that he was legally bound to do so. Later his administration admitted .
2. On 4/15/22, he .
3. Immediately after returning from in Egypt in November 2022, he approved plans to build the off the coast of Texas.
4. On 3/13/23 he approved the which will produce 576M barrels of oil over a 30 year period - a Carbon Bomb.
5. 4/14/23 he approves the - to export 2.7 Billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions over the course of its lifetime.
6. And now he has announced that he isn't even going bother to attend the Climate Action Summit in NYC which will be attended by over 100 other governments.
Joe Biden is never going to limit fossil fuel corporations in any significant way.
- "Without the ability to insure properties in high risk areas with relatively affordable policies, homeowners will not be able to afford the cost of ownership associated with homes in those areas and property values will deflate, leading to a realization of the current climate-driven overvaluation in the market."
- August 2023 was the second hottest month of all time, just behind July 2023. The world's oceans were the hottest ever on record.
- Last week it was , this week massive flooding.
- Heat indices in the 120s are becoming common - Lawrence, KS 134F last Sunday
- "Glaciers have disappeared 65% faster in the 2010's than in the previous decade."
- 110F predicted for Oregon; "extreme heat is the in the U.S."
- From the article: "Scientists say floods are becoming more frequent as global warming contributes to the melting of glaciers there."
- "Scientists say monsoons are becoming more erratic because of climate change and global warming, leading to frequent landslides and flash floods in India’s Himalayan north."
- "Florida buries its head in the water instead."
- See , , . Also ""
- From the article: Blackrock with $8.6 T under management, just named the CEO of Saudi Aramco to its board of directors. Saudi Aramco has produced more carbon emissions than any other firm on earth. Despite previous promises, Blackrock is not considering global warming when it makes business decisions.
- "it is already or soon will be hotter than it’s been for a million years, which is to say before the evolution of homo sapiens...less than halfway to the temperature our current trajectory will produce"
- In the early days of the Biden Adminstration, he appointed . Richmond, whose , had previously represented Louisiana's Cancer Alley and had made sure that petrochemical industries were able to avoid any responsibility for the sickness and death that they reeked on its poor black residents. How much more can Biden possibly do for Big Oil?
- In 2021 at this time of year the town of Lytton, BC reached a temperature .
From the same article: It is "possible...that the climate system has crossed a non-linear threshold where a small amount of overall global warming is now causing a faster rise in extreme temperatures than has been observed so far."
- Del Rio 115 degrees, Big Bend Natl. Park 118
- "...any deal that holds the economy and climate hostage for the profit of dirty energy donors is a betrayal.”
"NextEra Energy, one company behind the Mountain Valley pipeline, is a major contributor to Manchin and Schumer. In the 2022 cycle, the company’s employees and political action committees gave $60,000 to Manchin and a stunning $302,000 to Schumer, ."
- Great for developers and the mining industry, devastating for thos who depend on clean water. Supreme Court: no validity, no legitimacy, no credability. It is all about politics and is a rubber stamp for big corporations that want to ruin our democracy and our planet.
- "...officials warn that Italy needs a national plan to combat climate change-induced flooding."
- Bill McKibben: Call it Cyclone Exxon.
- Reminds me of the movie ''.
- From the article: "The FAO estimates that weather and climate extremes, which have been made worse by the climate crisis globally, were the primary driver of acute food insecurity in 12 countries, covering 57 million people."
- "It is difficult to see how anyone can deny climate change is happening and having devastating effects around the world.” 50% excess flooding in Pakistan, drought in the Horn of Africa
- Glaciers are a 'lost cause.'
- From the article: "According to the DOE's own environmental impact statement, the project could unleash up to 2.7 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions over the course of its lifetime.
That's ten times as much cumulative planet-heating pollution as the Willow oil project rubber-stamped one month ago by the U.S. Interior Department..."
See entry of 3/13/23.
- From the article: "The Lazard assessment shows that on pretty much any assessment – cost of energy, cost of energy and firming, marginal cost of energy, and cost of capital – wind and solar win easily...The central findings show, among other things, that even in the face of inflation and supply chain challenges the LCOE (levellised cost of energy) of best-in-class renewables continues to decline"
- possibly within a 24 hour period ever in Florida and ever in the USA
- Bill McKibben's translation:
/\ New Phase Starts Here /\
- It's totally Sargassmic.
- Per this article: The project won't come on line until 2028 at the earliest and estimates are that by 2030 the majority of US car sales will be electric. BLM analysis is that when fully operational, Willow will bring down the cost of a barrel of oil by $0.20, or 0.3%. Claims by politicians that this will create thousands of new jobs and generate $billions in revenue are very dubious according to details in this article.
The Willow project is all about pure greed on the part of fossil fuel companies and R & D politicians. It is not about helping citizens.
- This is a true disaster for our planet. During the 2020 campaign he stated that under his administration there would be “.”
Since then this is Biden's actual climate track record:
The day that Biden returned to the oval office after attending in Glasgow in November, 2021, he approved new offshore drilling. He claimed that he was legally bound to do so, but .
On 4/15/22, he .
Immediately after returning from in Egypt in November 2022, he approved plans to build the off the coast of Texas.
And now he approves the Willow Project "potentially producing more than twice as many emissions than all renewable energy projects on public lands by 2030 would cut combined."
Never listen to what they say, watch only what they do.
As 350.org stated, "We need a complete overhaul of the politics and systems that allow such destruction to take place."
- in Odessa, Texas is currently recycling 95% of the materials at scale.
e “It’s the inequality that kills us.” - Current emergencies: health, housing, inequality, racism, climate, police violence, gender violence. Solution? 'Build a power base that includes all of the people concerned with all of these issues. And the way to do that is to show how all of these problems and the people who are affected by them are interconnected.'
Show how climate action can create better jobs and redress all of these inequalities.
Shock Doctrine: After every emergency, the establishment politicians bring in vulture capitalists who see a way to buy up all of the cheap remains of the emergency and create a neo-liberal hell for all of the less-fortunate who were caught up in the disaster - creating a never-ending cycle that reinforces the suffering of the poor and obscene bounty for a small group of profiteers.
Instead, what should happen is the influence of the rich over our lawmakers needs to stop. Indigenous lands that were stolen for purposes of extraction should be returned in the condition that it was when it was taken. The insane overconsumption of resources by the rich needs to be replaced by a sane and equal consumption of the necessaries of life by all. Climate change keeps showing us that it is this inequality and injustice that is killing us and destroying all species on the planet.
" we’re not going to win climate justice if we’re not free to fight for it, if we’re not free to research, if we’re not free to speak, if we’re not free to protest, if we’re not free to strike."
"What’s needed are structures that bypass authoritarian governments"
"Whatever you want to do, find a way to connect it with the climate crisis. Maybe it’s art, maybe it’s engineering, maybe it’s planning – it’s all needed. I don’t think people need to give up what they’re passionate about to tackle climate change. I think they need to figure out how to connect what they’re passionate about with the climate crisis."
- Pope Frances thinks that "unbridled capitalism is the "
Bill McKibben: The UN Secretary-General's Searing Message for the Fossil-Fuel Industry
- see entry of 2/3.
- "The dominant system of capital and state...wants collapse and will violently confront anyone who opposes it."
- Biden during campaign: “.”
20th C avg global surface temperature: 57 F/13.9 C
1880-1900 avg temp: 56.65 F/13.7 C
2022: 58.55 F/14.75 C
Goal is to stay below: 59 F/15.2 C (+1.5C above 1900 avg)
- Also Microplastics , and
- HSBC has stated twice over the last ??? years that they are no longer funding fossil fuel companies.
- This is the company that in 2010 turned the Gulf of Mexico into its own personal toilet. About were spilled, and , the largest man-made environmental disaster of all time, and and .
Then Obama let them skate with a fine of $18.7 Billion, about 10% of their . They were given 15 years to pay it, which meant they could pay it out of their from US taxpayers. It's also the company whose chief executive, Tony Hayward, referred to all of the coastal residents who died or lost their jobs and had their health permanently ruined as "".
- Mother Nature is boss and she is pissed.
- ...in return for contributions from the lobster industry. lobster.
- From the article: Spoiled farmland can never be brought back to its original condition. Keystone said this was going to be the safest pipeline ever built.
- An interesting recap of climate milestones in 2022.
- The 2003 death toll was .
- This is the 23rd spill on this section since 2010.
- The day after COP27, just as it approved new , and last April it . All these things Biden did after saying during the 2020 campaign that under his administration there would be “.”
- The woman Mitch McConnell called a "."
- lowest levels since the 1930's
- Best example: Cedric Richmond, Biden senior advisor who called "AOC and the Squad are f'ing idiots." Before taking the Biden job, Richmond represented the 2nd district of Louisiana, in the nation, and one the most impacted by Oil & Gas industry pollution of the air and groundwater, the same industry from which he got . . This causes major health issues for the citizens of Richmond's district. That district includes seven of the 10 most polluted geographic regions. It has the 5th highest incidence of cancer in the nation. Meanwhile, Richmond turned a blind eye to Oil & Gas industry violations, while he was getting the majority of his campaign funds from that industry.
This is your typical democratic politician, the type that is running the party, and making boneheaded decisions like nominating Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden. In Nov. 2024 they will have given us Trump twice.
- Record flooding of Arcadia River after Ian.
- Written just befor it made landfall in Florida and extremely prescient. Trivia fact: Because of fossil fuel burning we add the heat equivalent of 500 Hiroshima bombs to the atmosphere and ocean every day.
- Never listen to what they say...
- Malpass was previously Chief Economist at Bear Stearns for 6 years - then it collapsed...just saying.
- "What happened in China this summer has made it abundantly clear: Even with concerted and aggressive global action to curb carbon emissions, it’s going to be a rough ride."
, - Next:, not to mention the
- This is a very small country with a population of almost one quarter of a billion people. People are starving while food prices are skyrocketing and the internal political system is extremely unstable.
- Lake Mead which supplies water to all of the SW states is at its lowest level ever.
- "The risk is highest in places where the water is rising and the land is also falling. That's happening very quickly in , as humans pump out oil, gas and drinking water, and the land collapses because of that extraction."
- "a far cry from the ambitious multi-trillion-dollar domestic policy and tax proposal that President Biden" in 2020.
- 12" of rain in St. Charles County; previous record: 6.85" on 8/20/1915.
- "One day in May, the temperature hit 121, and over-heated birds fell from the sky."
- Manchin made complete suckers out of Biden and the Democrats. Never forget.
- "Hotter days bring an elevated risk of dehydration, says Johnson, which in turn can cause cognitive dysfunction, high blood pressure, and acute kidney injuries. Over time, the chronically dehydrated are less able to excrete toxins, leaving a higher concentration of salts and glucose in the kidneys and blood serum. Those substances are linked with an increased risk for diabetes and metabolic syndrome, a medical term that describes some combination of high blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and abdominal obesity that is estimated to afflict nearly a quarter of U.S. adults. As temperatures rise, he says, it is likely that incidences of metabolic disease will too, along with the concurrent risk of heart attack and stroke."
- After June 2019, and June 2021
and on the same day...
- Unita Basin railway...These numbers are truly mind boggling. Biden and the democrats have nailed the coffin shut for life on earth. Republicans are the obvious evil, but Democrats are the more efficient evil.
- McKibben: "The decision in Citizens United v. F.E.C., in 2010, empowered corporations to game our political system at will."
- That's the best summarization that I have heard of where we are right now. Just as Biden prepares to leave for Saudi Arabia, breaking in one trip.
- Americans use about of water per day. In 2017, Capetown residents were limited to 13.
- "Drought is a part of a much broader challenge of land degradation. Up to of the planet’s land is currently degraded. Forests have been cleared, wetlands and peatlands drained, mountains eroded, and farmlands and grasslands over-exploited. Land degradation directly affects , with the potential to threaten half of the global gross domestic product (US$44 trillion)."
- 'One of more than 30 fires that have burned nearly one million acres across 5 states.'
2022: 421 ppm
- At close to 130F, some of the highest April temperatures ever recorded on earth.
NYTimes: - "...currently, lithium, cobalt and other minerals needed for electric car batteries and energy storage are processed primarily in Asia. China alone controls nearly 80 percent of the world’s processing and refining of those critical minerals."
- The Democrats have completely betrayed the climate movement. The 'lesser of two evils' argument is a fraud.
"Randi Spivak, public lands director at the Center for Biological Diversity, argued that "the Biden administration's claim that it must hold these lease sales is pure fiction and a reckless failure of climate leadership."
Biden has killed any hope of Democratic gains this fall and has probably turned the White House over to Trump in '24.
"The decision to go ahead with the sale has damaged Biden’s climate credentials right after the Cop26 talks in Glasgow where he said the US would “lead by example” in slashing greenhouse gas emissions. The president, who has called the climate crisis an “existential threat” to the US, said in a Democratic primary debate last year that under his administration there would be “.”
See entry below of 1/28 & 12/13.
- Ignoring climate change is starting to get really expensive.
- They were found in 10 of the 12 subjects tested. They have also been found in blood samples. We are all eating them and breathing them all the time.
- "...we have the technnology necessary to rapidly ditch fossil fuels. Renewable energy is now cheaper than fossil fuel, and becoming more so...it could cost less to replace every coal plant in the country with renewables than to simply maintain the existing coal plants. You could call it a “green discount.”"
- Here's how: : and
Business Insider: UN Report Warns of Climate-Related Mass Extinctions
Bill McKibben: - "Joe Biden could damage Putin badly - and he doesn't have to ask Joe Manchin." Also see: and
These three articles together show the path to a relatively quick elimination of the use of fossil fuels on this planet. The only thing stopping it is the money going into politicians' pockets from the industries that needlessly prolong its use.
- "Here, we show that after exceptional drought severity in 2021, ~19% of which is attributable to anthropogenic climate trends, 2000–2021 was the driest 22-yr period since at least 800."
- Making fossil fuels completely unnecessary.
- Winter storm Uri February 2021, overwhelmed the TX power grid and left 5 million Texans without power for days. 248 died. Many natural gas facilities, the main source of power for most Texans, failed. In the immediate aftermath, Gov. Abbott blamed renewable energy, but the problem was with the natural gas facilities which seized up in the cold. In the attempt to avoid regulation, the TX system elected to fend for itself and remove itself from the multi-state grid. That plan failed. Subsequently the TX legislature has focused on tightening the state's voting laws, allowing unregistered handgun carry in public, and banning abortion to the exclusion of natural gas regulation. State rules regarding natural gas facility ownership by regulators is non-existant. There are no weatherization requirements, much less enforcement. Meanwhile TX has encouraged crypto-currency mining which drains electricity from the TX infrastructure.
- During the last 20 years, Big Ag spent $2.5 Billion on lobbying. As a percentage of expenditures Tyson foods spends more on political lobbying than Exxon/Mobile does.
- Finally some good news.
Biden stated during a Democratic primary debate in 2020 that under his administration there would be “.” One of the first actions that Biden took immediately upon returning from COP26 was to authorize the auction of 308 tracts, 3.7 million acres of new drilling permits in the Gulf of Mexico.
This court action reverses the permits that were auctioned off at that time plus more.
See entry of 12/13/21.