/\ Time Lines /\
- Manchin voted for Pentagon spending which will add $778 billion to the deficit in 2022. The Build-Back-Better bill would spend 1/4 of that amount and would have been fully paid for by on the wealthy.
Manchin has voted for the last 11 military budgets in a row without any complaints about their effects on the deficit or inflation.
The latest budget that Manchin, and practically every politician in Washington voted for, except of course Sanders, immediately followed the end of the longest war in US history, and was $25 Billion more than the President and the Defense Dept. requested.
Corporate donations into Manchin's PAC just prior to his No vote.
- Too bad they are not his acutal constituency. That would be the big coal corporations. Again, we don't live in a democracy. We live in a corporate dictatorship.
- Many brave Afghans helped American soldiers in their country. The message to them was: "We will take care of you." As a reward, they get to watch their
- "The need to appease the West Virginia senator is gone now and not just on the climate."
- Designed to churn out fodder for the short term use of industry.
- The whore court is now completely run by . Even the justices know it .
- A comprehensive overview of increased restrictions on women's health care around the world.
- From the days of his of Anita Hill, to his for the Hyde amendment, he is not a friend of womens' basic health care.
- Mahdawi's new book .
- Head of World Food Programme: "...we're now looking at the worst humanitarian crisis on Earth."
- What good little Democrats they are.
- Manchin has been a high ranking member of ALEC since at least 1993.
- The Democrats now $2 trillion 10 year agenda could be easily paid for by:
1. Repealing Trump's $1.9 trillion tax cut that is going mostly to the rich and large corporations. That tax cut cost the treasury and American taxpayers during Trumps 4 years in office.
2. Taxing the and that the 750 billionaires in the US have raked in during the pandemic.
3. Cutting our $8 trillion in defense spending over the next 10 years - which mostly goes directly into the pockets of the execs and shareholders of Pentagon contractors.
- "...the overriding reason for raising the debt ceiling stems from the fact that the US needs to borrow new money to pay the principal and interest on about incurred over the course of the Trump administration."
What's puzzling about this is Democrat messaging. They keep referring to their 10 year $3.5 Trillion social safety net program instead of referring to it as a $350 billion per year program. This would more easily be compared to the $780 billion per year Pentagon budget, and all the other programs that far exceed their plan. It almost seems that Dems want to scuttle their own plan. 🤔
During the Trump years, Republicans and Democrats with no drama.
"Congress has , ..., a grand total of 78 times since 1960 - 49 times under Republican presidents and 29 times under Democratic presidents."
- Now think back to March, 2020, right after just as . One has to wonder if any members of the DNC are having second thoughts about that move right now. Or possibly the cynical Democratic leadership finds being out of power very good for their pocket books.
- Not enough did, and so .
- are, and consistently have been, pro-choice. Only about are against abortion in all cases.
Entry of 3/1/21:
- The IC assesses that racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists (RMVEs) and militia violent extremists (MVEs) present the most lethal domestic violent extremists (DVE) threats, with RMVEs most likely to conduct mass-casualty attacks against civilians and MVEs typically targeting law enforcement and government personnel and facilities.
Entry of 7/27/20:
- The data was revised after this article was published - an A-F was linked to one. Per the Georgetown University : Number of victims of leftwing activists in the US in the last 24 years: 1. Victims of American white-supremacists and rightwing extremists during the same period: 329. The . A little more about the .
- Check out the last 3 questions of the Q&A.
- The police tried this . The result was the death of . The German police adopted and in the 1920s and 1930s and the result was the death of 55 million people including 6 million Jews. generally wear swastikas and other nazi attire, and .
- “I will build a great wall—and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me—and I’ll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said when he announced his run for president in 2015. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”
: "Donald Trump's attacks on democracy are being promoted by rich and powerful conservative groups that are determined to win at all costs."
- reference to Magnolia Journal - #Evangelical - Chip and Johanna Gaines; "The Gaineses have built a commercial empire called Magnolia, by selling the trappings of a trendy, Christian life style." "The Gaineses’ brand often seems to valorize aspects of traditional gender roles...This aesthetic, perhaps unintentionally, has resonances with the evangelical notion of complementarianism, the concept that, though men and women have equal value in God’s eyes, the Bible ascribes to them different roles at home, in their families, and in the church. The ideology promotes the notions of Biblical manhood and womanhood, conceptions of how proper Christian men and women should comport themselves, which are ostensibly based on scriptural teaching, and tend to encourage women’s submission to men. Johanna's book: "Homebody"
"Beth Allison Barr, a medieval-history professor at Baylor University, who studies the role of women in evangelical Christianity" Her book: ""
Kristin Kobes Du Mez: ""
For other entries on this subject, search on #Evangelical within the Politics and Other Interesting Stuff pages.
and and - The Guardian has blown the lid off a story that has been suppressed by media in the US. This web site has been commenting on the gargantuan intrusion into the privacy of all Americans and people around the world by NSA since 2013.
Summarization published on TimeLines on 3/1/18:
- First there was m, the NSA program that “allows officials to collect material including search history, the content of emails, file transfers and live chats, and has obtained access to Google, Facebook and Apple servers.”
Then there was . The National Security Agency’s most powerful tool of mass surveillance which makes tracking someone’s Internet usage as easy as entering an email address, and provides no built-in technology to prevent abuse.
Then there was that they had been using in the FISA Amendments Act to surveil anybody they wanted to, with or without a warrant, whether or not they were in contact with foreigners, or suspected of any crime - despite James Clapper’s to the contrary and , , , .
Then there was - which facilitated the capture the equivalent of 1 million average sized emails, online chats, social media conversations and internet browsing histories every minute.
Then there was to easily sort and search all of this data.
And now there is this Global Spy Alliance article about various countries that use software. The NSA and other governments use it to collect phone calls, text messages, emails, Snap Chats, Skype calls, Facebook posts, online comments, credit card purchases, collect passwords, track locations, access the target device's microphone and camera, harvest information from phone apps, and then save and store that info either in the enormous and which holds yottabtes of data (a yottabyte is one trillion terabytes), and costs about $40 million/year to maintain, or on multiple servers from multiple cooperating countries around the world. All this plus and facial recognitions systems have removed almost every smidgen of privacy from our lives - despite the guarantees of the 4th Amendment.
None of this is about crime prevention. It's all about control. Interesting to think that we would not have all of this surveillance without 9/11, and we wouldn't know about it without Edward Snowden.
- Top 5 companies actively traded by the Pelosis: Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Google. 75% of their stock trading has been Big Tech. 17.7% Apple. When Tim Cook called, all Nancy wanted to know was what changes were needed in the proposed anti-trust laws to avoid harming Apple and other Silicon Valley giants. "Can even the most hard-core Democrat partisan loyalist justify this blatant conflict of interest and self dealing?"
- Pro-gun, forced-birther, misogynist, anti-immigrant, anti-democratic, militant groups want America to become a . They use pseudo-scripture to justify their violence. The thread that ties it all together: White Supremacy.
- ...and then?
- "After right-wing outrage, the esteemed journal removed an opinion piece expressing solidarity with Palestinians under Israeli bombardment."
- "I didn't mean it literally." Ivanka thought the insurrection was just 'an optics issue'.
- "those who want to claim that this court ruling proves Tucker Carlson is a lying propagandist who cannot be trusted have no way out of applying the same claim to Maddow."
- Claiming asylum for protection against violence is legal under US law. Therefore it would seem that ICE and the Biden Admin are in violation of that law.
"Do you remember how, just a few short months ago, supporters of Donald Trump staged a violent insurrection? How they stormed the Capitol in an attempt to overturn the results of last November’s presidential election, looting and vandalizing the seat of American democracy? The fact that they carried firearms, explosives and handcuffs, some wanting to kill Vice-President Mike Pence, and others to run the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, over with a car? And how the whole thing was incited by the former president, Donald Trump, who told the mob beforehand to “fight like hell”?"
Inciting a mob to cause an insurrection is the textbook definition of , and it is .
- The bombs currently being used for the slaughter of 220 Palestinians, 1/3 of them children on top of the 'regular' $3.8 Billion annual gift.
- Unlike 26 of 27 countries in the European Union, Human Rights Watch and numerous NGOs, Biden has yet to call for a cease fire. Other than platitudes and lip service he has betrayed and abandoned progressives.
- That's a .
- "Free men could be kept enslaved by debt by paying them wages that were insufficient to meet their costs of living."
- and in occupied territories
- Very short, honest and statesmanlike. She was removed for maintaining that Trump legally lost the election. The very next day Kevin McCarthy (House Minority Leader and leader of House Republican Conference that gave her the boot) stated to reporters:
- A core tenet for Republicans is small government, yet in this case they want the government to dictate what can be taught and what can be banned in public school, interfering in the affairs of citizens. It also defies their new-found attachement to free speech where they call out Big Tech for deplatformig those they don't agree with, and the cancel culture.
- A pretty good list of his pluses and minuses. Foreign policy is a major set of minues: $753 Billion defense budget, leaving sanctions in place against Iran, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, North Korea and Syria, massive weapons sale to S. Arabia and UAE, recognition of un-elected despots in Honduras and Venezuela.
- The make another appearance. Search on cryptocurrency, 'hot wallets'.
- "It took a few more years for the right-wing propaganda apparatus to fully numb conservative consciences, and prepare them to openly endorse an idea as plainly depraved as this one."
- His karma just ran over his dogma.
- A must-read. Once again Hollywood attempts to make a moral equivalency between domestic white-supremacist extremist terrorists' efforts to violently overthrow US democracy and attempts by Americans of color to achieve simple economic equivalency. Racism seems to be at the core of our ruling class.
- American Christianity has a . #Evangelical
"Cultivating the life of the mind, however, has been an important current throughout much of Christianity’s history, a recognition that intellectual pursuits can glorify God.
During the Middle Ages, monasteries became centers of learning and gave rise to the first European universities.
The writings of Thomas Aquinas, which blended Aristotelian philosophy and Christian theology, set out a framework for reconciling scientific knowledge with scriptural truths.
Martin Luther, who led the Protestant Reformation, was an early advocate of universal education and argued that educating needy youth was vital “in order that a city might enjoy temporal peace and prosperity.”
The Puritan minister Jonathan Edwards grappled with metaphysics and epistemology in his writings and sermons.
The English Puritans who settled throughout New England had a deep scholarly tradition, which led to the founding of Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth. Puritan clergy were expected to be paragons of both learning and piety.
In the twentieth century, C. S. Lewis and Reinhold Niebuhr enjoyed popular acclaim as Christian public intellectuals. T. S. Eliot and W. H. Auden are among the writers whose theologically orthodox Christianity served as a focal point of their art.
American Christianity took a decisive shift, however, toward religious “enthusiasm” during revivals that swept the colonies in the mid-eighteenth century, a period that came to be known as the First Great Awakening. Believers’ direct connection to God became the primary focus. Ministers who believed in the importance of learning and rationality in religion found themselves increasingly under threat.
The style of the most popular and influential pastors tend to correlate with shallowness: charisma trumps expertise; scientific authority is often viewed with suspicion. So it is of little surprise that American evangelicals have become vulnerable to demagoguery and misinformation.
a “resentment and suspicion of the life of the mind and of those who are considered to represent it.”
“The Puritan ideal of the minister as an intellectual and educational leader was steadily weakened in the face of the evangelical ideal of the minister as a popular crusader and exhorter,”
The church found itself increasingly at odds with advances in science
- The IC assesses that racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists (RMVEs) and militia violent extremists (MVEs) present the most lethal DVE threats, with RMVEs most likely to conduct mass-casualty attacks against civilians and MVEs typically targeting law enforcement and government personnel and facilities.
- The President of the Senate, Kamala Harris, can overrule the , and then pass the bill. No excuses Democrats! Get it Done!
- "Courts dismissed more than 50 lawsuits of alleged electoral fraud and irregularities presented by Trump and allies. U.S. election security officials have said the election was “the most secure in American history”.
- "Capitalism, because God blessed the righteous with wealth and power and condemned the immoral to poverty and suffering, is shorn of its inherent cruelty and exploitation...the worst aspects of American society are sacralized by this heretical form of Christianity.
This collective self-delusion is the story of America, from its foundation on the twin evils of slavery and genocide to its inherent racism, predatory capitalism and savage wars of conquest."
- "Just as the old advertising model incentivized news outlets to project a business-friendly view of the world, the new model requires readers to stay not just satisfied but also engaged enough that they are willing to maintain economic support. Unfortunately for society as a whole, one of the best ways to monetize engagement on the internet is by generating anger and hatred, usually directed at some other group of people."
- a list of those arrested.
- "In the current broken system, a small number of megadonors spend millions to influence elections and expect something in return from the officials who benefited. Many Americans have lost interest in civic participation because they don’t have confidence in our political system. Reform can restore that confidence and make people more likely to engage with the political process, including through small donations. With public financing, politicians would have a greater incentive to seek broad support from all of their constituents, not just the rich ones."
- There will be in the Biden Administration.
- Per Stirewalt: "Having worked in cable news for more than a decade after a wonderfully misspent youth in newspapers, I can tell you the result: a nation of news consumers both overfed and malnourished," Stirewalt explains. "Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies. Can anyone really be surprised that the problem has gotten worse in the last few years?"
- Jimmy Carter -
- Disgusting. They own the executive branch and majorities in both House and Senate. A continuation of the neo-liberal approach that got them defeated in 2016. Do the Republicans and McConnell open the dialogue with, 'but we're willing to negotiate'?
The messaging should be: 'Good News! Your $1,400 check is on the way!'
- In -60F weather.
- "We're still here it said. Ignore us, and we won't sit nearly so quietly next time."
"It’s clear that some people in the upper reaches of the Democratic Party understand that if they are going to bask in a glamorous return to neoliberal “normal,” there needs to some nod to reality."
- Corona virus, spending and taxes. - China,
Keynesian a further burst of government spending is needed "to alleviate human suffering, shorten the recession, and head off long-term “scarring” to the economy. expanding child tax credits and raising the minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour; expanding and extending unemployment insurance, boosting food-stamp programs, and raising refundable child tax credits to three thousand dollars a year—a set of proposals that would reduce the incidence of child poverty by half, according to a study by Columbia University’s Center on Poverty and Social Policy.
Most of the Republicans in Congress voted for the 2017 tax bill, which, according to the Congressional Budget Office, will increase the budget deficit by $1.9 trillion over ten years, and, before that, for the costly tax cuts of George W. Bush. Not to mention Bush's Afghan () and Iraq ($1.1 T) wars and the financial meltdown that occured just as Bush was leaving town ($2 T and counting), costing between 2006 and 2014
"it’s essential that we put the federal budget on a path that is sustainable . . . but the most important thing, in my view, that we can do today to put us on a path of fiscal sustainability is to defeat the pandemic,” she said to Thune. A failure to spend enough to revive the economy would “likely leave us in a worst place fiscally and with respect to our debt situation,” Yellen added.
and - Byline: "Renata Hesse, who has worked for Google and Amazon, is the leading candidate to run the Justice Department’s antitrust division."
"Juan Arteaga, another Obama Justice Department veteran who defended JPMorgan Chase and several other financial firms in fraud cases and represented AT&T in its merger with Time Warner, was also being considered but was more likely to be appointed deputy assistant attorney general in the antitrust division."
- Byline: "A network of far-right agitators across the country spent weeks organizing and raising money for a mass action to overturn President Trump’s election loss."
- Evangelicalism is suffering from a . #Evangelical
- However, as explained in the article, so far actual charges are very few and minor. Contrast this with the vendictive DOJ response to the J20 and George Floyd protests which were immediately met with an army of police arresting everyone present for simply being there. They were then charged with felony rioting, later upgraded to conspiracy and threatened with decades in prison, thus upending their lives.
This is in contrast with the Capitol insurrection, where most of the perps simply walked out the front door when they were through having their fun, and disappeared into the night.
The next day the crime scene was immediately cleansed of all forensic evidence before any real investigation could take place.
- No mention of Deputy Treasury Sec. Adeyemo's BlackRock background or Tom Vilsack's Monsanto background. And what the hell does Pete Buttigieg know about Transportation? Is he the token LGBT? Marcia Fudge didn't want the job as HUD, since most of her public service has been in the Ag sector - but Biden gave that to Vilsack. Is Fudge the token black female?
- These guys are going to be just as rapacious as the Trumpers. We all voted for Biden because 1. he had the best chance of beating schrump and 2. we would have voted for a tree stump with that same qualification. Maybe we need another party? Just a thought.
and - Never forget!
- Synopsis: The neo-conservatism and neo-liberalism of Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama saw the national income share of the , and the income share of the top 1% rose from 11% to 20%, which paved the way for Trump. The white racist segment of that working class has been totally brainwashed by Fox News, conspiracy theories on Facebook, and the Republican party to the point of openly armed rebellion. Biden's seems poised to continue the neo-liberal policies that got us to this point. It is possible that we will follow the .
- She's a venture capitalist, charter school advocate, against M4A, pushed for Medicaid Cuts, she issued an executive order sought by healthcare industry lobbyists that shielded nursing homes from lawsuits when their business decisions injure or kill people. The order was later expanded to shield nursing homes, hospitals, and other healthcare providers. She has a long history of prioritizing the desires of Wall St. firms, she stripped low-income areas of 50% of mid-pandemic aid funding. Given the power of the Commerce Dept. to decrease prescription drug costs because of its control of the US Patent and Trademark Office, control over climate research because it controls NOAA, possibility to fix the broken Census process, power to achieve a progressive trade policy via its oversight of the International Trade Administration; given all that this is one of several
"Raimondo's loathing of the needy and love of financial power is exactly the behavior Democrats have spent four years rightly decrying in Trump Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin," the Revolving Door Project states on its website.
As such, Biden giving any executive position to the Democratic governor "would represent a profound and bitter betrayal of trust."
That sentiment was echoed by labor activist RoseAnn DeMoro responding to reports of Raimondo's selection, as well as reports of Boston Mayor Marty Walsh as Biden's labor secretary.
"Serious slap in the face to workers and to Sen. Bernie Sanders," DeMoro said in a Thursday tweet.
- "Let's walk down Pennsylvania Ave...I'll be there with you...We're going to have to fight much harder."
- "childish, stupid, dangerous," scruffy, white, male, hooligan, thugs. On Monday night in Dalton, GA, Trump told them to they had to "fight...go all the way...fight like hell." That's Sedition. Then they did what he said to do. That's insurrection. Four people died. That's manslaughter and accessories to.
Also, we are at war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia and who knows how may countries where we have 'special operations' going on. It's interesting what one finds when one searches for and during wartime.
Too bad we don't have national leaders in place who have the courage to do what this demands.
- "The Center for Strategic and International Studies found that white supremacist groups were of the 61 “terrorist plots and attacks” in the first eight months of 2020. Since 2009, the far right has been responsible for over of extremist murders."
- During Monday night's speech in Dalton, Trump said: if "we don’t do something fast, there will never be another free election and the United States will succumb to “communism.”
“If you don’t fight to save your country with everything you have, you’re not gonna have a country left,”
"We have to go all the way, and that’s what’s happening,...You watch what happens over the next couple of weeks, you watch what’s going to come out, watch what’s going to be revealed.”
"They’re not taking this White House, we’re going to fight like hell.”
Sedition, pure and simple.